The #1 Thing Wrong With Real Estate Teams



Transcript:

I want to start with the first part of getting this thing right from a financial standpoint, and it comes down to when you make the decision to build leverage into your business through administrative people and outside sales agents and potentially inside sales agents, through marketing and technology, all those are leverage points in your business.


When you make that decision you have to have some kind of model that you’re following. So the models around agent compensation, it is the the thing that I see wrong with all real estate teams. It’s the first decision you have to make in your real estate business - how you’re going to compensate agents on your team as you scale your business.

And the challenge is that when your production is lower, you don’t feel like you have much to give to someone, so you don’t fully understand how it’s possible to pay out such low splits, but you’ve got to get over that very quickly and you’ve got to find people that are willing to work within your value proposition. I debated going into what that looks like; that’s a whole separate topic. 

It’s more along the lines of recruiting, but you’ve got to understand that that first decision is going to dictate how much money you have left over to cover your expenses. So if you take the most dramatic example, a straight up brokerage like Re/MAX or Keller Williams. In that model, their margins, like their business model, 450 agents, a third cap - so if you know Keller Williams, capping is about $2.7 million in volume in a market, a third they hope will cap and a third will never cap.

That’s what real estate agents make, like most people aren’t going to sell $2.7 million worth of real estate in most markets. And $2.7 million, 3% of that is what, $70,000 or $80,000 before expenses? So at a Keller Williams office if you sell $3 million, you bring in $90,000 top line, you’re giving away $23,000 of it. And granted if you sell more it’s a lower percentage, but that’s the fundamental thing that’s wrong with the model, is that brokers don’t have very good profit margins. So switch it over to what our profit margins are, our target is really 70% and I’m pushing harder to get to that 70%, we’re at about 66%, 67% gross margin. 

So gross commission income, less agent compensation. And you’ve got to make a commitment to review your financials every month. Mine are ready by the 10th of the month prior and I set time aside where i review my financials. If there’s anything that looks a little weird, you know, anything that just doesn’t look right. And I want to let you guys know that what I have here, we have people in our group and in Boardroom that are even more aggressive with their splits. It’s all about value proposition right?

So whatever you think a buyer’s agent is worth is what you should design your compensation around. To me, it’s a $30 to $50 an hour position, and as along as you have enough opportunity and you provide the structure, the accountability and the framework for them to achieve that level, you’re going to be able to fill people in that position, because there aren’t many $60,000 to $100,000 positions in most markets. 

We can consistently and predictably get someone earning six figures. That’s not a normal thing in most markets, OK? You’ve got to track buyer and seller commissions separately along with buyer and listing agent splits, that goes back to the chart of accounts. Buyer business gross margin is in the 55% to 60%, that’s gross margin, how much you keep, so you want to pay our between 40% and 45%.

Right now I’m running at 45%. I want it to be less. I want to pay out less to my agents When people hear me say that they’re like “oh, you want to pay your agents less?” No. I just want to pay them a lower percentage, so my model tightens up more. My model is solid even though I’m on the upper end of these ranges, but for all of you I want you to know that what I do, I want to challenge you to do little bit better than what I do. 

Listing business gross margin 75% to 80% or 20% to 25% payout to listing agents, no salary there.

24 comments :

  1. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thank you! Pattaya properties agent

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real estate marketing is very complicated approach and the people who sell real estate need to do a lot of advertisement in front of right set of customers. Even I am into same business and I know how giant the obstacles can be but recently started using text marketing for real estate agents and getting impressive results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! toronto homes

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first visit to your web journal! We are a group of volunteers and new activities in the same specialty. Website gave us helpful data to work. Aiden

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant! Liv condo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: blue world city noc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. House Hacking Case Studies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. best real estate agents

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! fsbo leads

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. Pittsburgh rental property buyer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. flats for sale in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! real estate drones

    ReplyDelete
  13. mortgage for foreigners, When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your.

    ReplyDelete
  14. working with a realtor form explained, I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Philadelphia luxury homes Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. riverwalk apartments philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to to thank you for this very good read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked to check out new things you post… hausverwalter duisburg

    ReplyDelete
  18. Summerlin Homes for Sale I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i read a lot of stuff and i found that the way of writing to clearifing that exactly want to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come again in future.. New lenox IL Real Estate Agents

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site.. mokena real estate agents

    ReplyDelete
  21. warehouse space for lease Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. Rittenhouse Square condos

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really thanks for the valuable facts about this great subject and anticipate more great posts. Thanks a whole lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I'm appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to mcdougal! Good luck! we are the most trusted provider of real estate data nationwide, we have software which provides data which helps to make informed decisions. Visit us for more info. Propstream price

    ReplyDelete