MASTERMIND CALL: The 2 Qualities to Avoid When Making Your Next Hire


If you're serious about developing the tools and systems it takes to build a true real estate business that runs without you, I can help you. It’s never too late to move from a producer to an owner, all while adding some much needed balance to your life outside of work. Click here to schedule a FREE Strategy Session with me and we'll see if it makes sense for us to work together.

When you're looking to hire new agents onto your team, in general there are a few key qualities to look for in each candidate. I learned this the hard way after hiring several agents who promised to work hard but consistently under-delivered. I've now trained my sales manager and operations manager to seek out these qualities during the first round of interviews.

What we're trying to build here is a team that is self-managed and self-motivated. And here are the 2 main qualities I look for.

1) You don't want candidates who can't show you that they've achieved something in their life, and that they have no experience driving themselves towards a goal in the past. You want someone who has proven themselves even if it's in a different industry. You can tell if they have that drive really quickly when you speak with somebody. 

I've found you just can't motivate somebody beyond what comes from them internally. If someone has no track record of achievement, if they don't seem to be a driven person who wants more for their life, it is painful to even try. 

2) I also try to avoid people who have no huge "why" when it comes to their desire to succeed. I don't like hiring, for instance, a single guy with no reason to make money except to go drink beer at night. I recently hired a current member of my team whose wife was a stay-at-home mother to a young child, they wanted to have a second child, and he was leaving his insurance job because he didn't like it.

I know when I show someone like that the path to making $100,000, he's going to do whatever it takes to reach and surpass that number. That's because he needs it. This year, because he's got the motivation and the big driving force behind his reason why, he's on track to make about $160,000, and he's already asking me how he can make more. My margin on him is around 66%.

So you want agents who want to make money, that are motivated, and who have driven themselves to success in the past. Real estate isn't all that hard, but you will need people that are driven and have a big "why". As you're interviewing agents, you want to find these things out before you make the mistake of hiring under-performing agents.

No comments :

Post a Comment