How to Develop Your Leadership Skills Like the Top 1%


Transcript:


“Small disciplines repeated with consistency every day lead to great achievements gained slowly over time.” -John C. Maxwell

When I say it’s going to take 20 years to figure it all out, I assume most people don’t accept that. Most people feel more rushed for time, and want answers now. It’s a pretty normal way to look at things, but the quote above should help you put things into perspective: it all starts with consistency. Achieving your business goals, those “great achievements” mentioned above, starts with small disciplines today.



The law of process, the daily focus on getting better, was something I struggled with, and something most people struggle with, at first. Most agents never rise above their ceiling because they never look internally -- they’re not looking at their dollar-productive activities or their leadership skills.

Most of us are where we are because we did the opposite, it’s the reason we want to build a business. I truly believe that 99% of the population are just followers. Perhaps it’s less than that, but not by much. We’re doing something that most people wouldn’t even think of doing. We’re all here because we’re learners, it’s all about self-discipline and perseverance. 

Now, back to the Five Phases of Development:
  1. I don’t know what I don’t know - Many people fail to recognize the value and importance of leadership or don’t even see themselves as leaders.

  2. I know what I need to know - Being in charge is not the same as being a leader, you must actively grow as a leader to get people to follow you.

  3. I know what I don’t know - There will come a time when you realize that leadership is critical to growing your business - that time is now!

  4. I know and grow, and it starts to show - Once you recognize your lack of skill and begin the daily discipline of personal growth, exciting things happen.

  5. I simply go because of what I know - This is where leadership becomes automatic, it’s based on your instincts and is part of who you are. 
John Maxwell tells a lot of great stories that cover these five phases. I highly recommend checking the audiobook, because he’s a great story tell. A good quote of his to pretty much sums up his law of process is this: 


“Champions don’t become champions in the ring, they are merely recognized there. If you want to see where someone develops into a champion, look at their daily routine.”

No comments :

Post a Comment