What Happens to Your Business When You're Gone?


Transcript:


"I firmly believe that any man’s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -Vince Lombardi

The Law of Legacy - It's All About Impact

I want to pitch this a certain way and this is the last thing we’ll cover. It’s not so much about setting your company up for succession as what’s the purpose. I think two Intensives ago, we did an exercise just to think what people will say at your funeral. It’s a way better way to live every day rather than asking yourself what you can get out of today and how you can advance your business. What are these people going to say about me at my funeral?



Just living your life in a legacy sort of way. The cool thing about is that you’re not dead yet, so you can script how you want the end to play out and live your life accordingly. There’s nothing too complex about it, but you have to set up your business as if you’re going to pass away the legacy and that’s all of this. Getting to ownership is all about building it that way. It’s a cool thought.

Our ability as leaders will not be measured by the businesses we build. We will be judged by how well the people we invested in carried on after we are gone. In the end, we will be judged according to the Law of Legacy. Every part of everything I’ve done, including what I’m doing now, my business has been really uncomfortable.

The last week I’ve been miserable getting on stage in front of all of you and bring value and I’m just so cranky at home. Julie, my wife, is over it. She had to come to the hotel twice yesterday because I forgot something at home. Once with the kids, I called her right after she got home. I was like ‘hey honey.’ It helps to have that person in the corner.

And playing this catch-up game, which is what I’m in now, is not cool and it’s not fun. I’ve got two companies I feel like I have to elevate my skills and leadership for. It’s exciting, so I do appreciate that part of it, even when there’s stuff going on, like ‘oh this is so cool, I get to be in all this stuff going on.’ I do not advise it though. Just study this stuff and make a commitment to it. Don’t put it off until you need it. Just spend time in it. 

If we are growing, we are always going to be outside our comfort zone.

No comments :

Post a Comment