What's the Difference Between Management and Leadership?


Transcript:

Leadership is not about titles, positions or flowcharts. It is about one life influencing another. So the law of influence, this is probably a myth for me if I’m being honest. This hit home for me in the work with High Performance Academy with the ability to influence people, assuming you’re doing it for the right reasons. It extends way beyond business -- your children, spouse, friends that might have gone down a wrong path.



Five myths about leadership. Leading and managing are not the same. That’s where void exists right now in my business. We have great managers, but there’s a leadership void, so we’re working on that. Managing is not leadership. Leadership is about influencing people to follow while management focuses on maintaining systems and processes. As you look to develop leaders and hire one into your company to help you lead, make sure you make that distinction that management and leadership are different.

  • The Entrepreneur Myth: entrepreneurs are skilled at seeing opportunities and going after them, but not all of them are good with leading people in their vision. Just because you came up with this thought to hire a team doesn’t mean you’re qualified to be a leader, you’re an entrepreneur.
  • The Knowledge Myth: neither IQ nor education necessarily equates to leadership. There’s lot of examples of that, of people that have grown into significant leaders without formal education.
  • The Pioneer Myth: being a trendsetter is not the same as being a leader. Just because you’re ahead of something in your market, it doesn’t make you a leader.  To be a leader, a person has to not only be out in front, but also has to have people following their lead.
  • The Position Myth. Leadership is not based on rank or title. It’s not the position that makes the leader, it’s the leader that makes the position.

Real quick factors that make a leader. Obviously, there’s character -- who you are in your core. This one is hard for me. When have agents leave our team, inevitably they say something that comes back to me about how they were treated or how there’s injustice, but some people just lie and say wrong things to justify why it might not have worked for them. As you grow your business, some people won’t work out. When you get a set of core values, and you hire and fire to them, people are going to question your character so you have to be grounded in who you are.

Relationships and who you know. With deep relationships with the right people, you can become the real leader in your organization.

Knowledge, what they know: information is vital.  You need to grasp the facts to develop an accurate vision for the future. I was really good at what I was good at, and I was able to lead by example in that. We have some gaps in my company since I’m not there, people are running my company. They never prospected Internet leads or did the same things I did. We’re working on that now.

Intuition! What they feel. Leaders seek to recognize and influence intangibles such as energy, morale, timing, and momentum. Not a big, this one, Jessica has been with me for just over six years. She’s good after I miss something in a meeting. You know when you did that? You should’ve done, said this. I thought you were gonna do this and I’m like, tell me before and I seem to lack intuition. When I came back from Mexico, I felt bad because I had this great time in Mexico and these new agents didn’t go. After the meeting, you should’ve lead with, “everyone’s going next year! We had such a great time! We did this and that.” Well tell me that before the meeting!

Experience, where they’ve been. The greater your past challenges, the more likely followers will be willing to let you lead. A lot of you, and it’s a double-edged sword for me because the marketing, it’s so, come follow me and you don’t have anything to do. Work one day a week. But you have to build your team from experiences, so like, stepping out is going to happen but it won't happen without being in the trenches of your business. 

And then, ability, what they can do. I think, Elrod, I’m excited for tomorrow’s session and just being really good and confident in what you do. And Kevin you’re a good example. You’re all good examples. Mike, you’re a good example and Tyler is a good example. You’re all good examples. You sold a lot of homes and my job in the boardroom is to make all of the mistakes in the last phase for you guys. You know, when you’re not in the business, it’s a different thing. Your ability matters.

True leadership cannot be awarded, appointed, or assigned. It comes only from influence and that cannot be mandated, it must be earned. That is the law of influence.

No comments :

Post a Comment